GettyImages-1253154519 copy

LONDON (AP) — ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi will add the role of chief executive officer to his duties on an interim basis after current CEO Massimo Calvelli leaves the job at the end of June and the search for a successor starts, the men's tennis tour announced Friday.

It's a turbulent time in the sport. An antitrust lawsuit was filed in federal court in New York last month by the players' association founded by Novak Djokovic, accusing the ATP, the women's tour and other key organizations of being "a cartel."

Separately, Djokovic was among 20 leading players who wrote to the heads of the four Grand Slam tournaments to ask for a greater share of prize money at those events and more say in decision-making.

Read More: Why did Novak Djokovic's players' association sue the groups that run tennis, and what do they want?

Read More: Novak Djokovic, Coco Gauff and other players ask Grand Slam tournaments for more money and more say

Calvelli was appointed ATP CEO in 2020, and the tour said player compensation is $100 million higher this season than in 2019.

Andrea Gaudenzi, ATP Chairman, commented: “Massimo has been a fantastic leader for the ATP. His strategic focus and tireless work ethic were instrumental in navigating a complex period for our sport - one in which we’ve achieved unprecedented growth. I am deeply grateful for his leadership and contributions, and I wish him every success in the next chapter.”

Massimo Calvelli, outgoing ATP CEO, said: “It’s been a privilege to serve as CEO of the ATP over the past five years. I’m proud of the progress we’ve made together and deeply thankful to the team I’ve worked alongside. With new opportunities ahead, I will leave with a sense of pride, and I wish everyone at the ATP continued success in the journey to come.”

Advertising

UTS - Gael Monfils breakdance